Last Updated 7 months by Emily Standley-Allard
If you’ve just started to help someone in their business, your main goal is to figure out the best and most efficient ways to help them get the most out of your services. If you are a consultant or have a business, these are some great questions to ask a new client to help them grow their business and obtain their work and life objectives.
Knowing what to ask a new client can be challenging, but these questions will allow you to get to the heart of what they’re looking for from you.
Asking these new client interview questions will give you a deeper insight into your client’s mindset and goals, which will allow you to tailor your advice specifically to their needs.
Top Questions to Ask a New Client
1. What’s the number one thing you’re struggling with right now?
2. What are your short-term goals?
3. What did you enjoy the most about your education in school?
4. Have you ever hired a consultant to help with business before?
5. What are you hoping to gain from my mentorship/consultancy?
6. What can I do to make this a better experience for you?
7. What accomplishments are you proudest of?
8. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your life so far?
9. Where do you see your business in five years’ time?
10. If you could go back and change one thing from your life, what would it be and why?
11. Which person close to you do you admire the most, and why?
12. If you could name one person who’s influenced your life, that you don’t know personally, who would that person be?
13. What habits have you developed that help you to be successful so far?
14. Are there any habits you need to break to become more successful?
15. Who are the most important people in your life?
The Top Ways to Promote Yourself as An Entrepreneur in 2022
You might also like: Power Affirmations to Slay Entrepreneur’s Anxiety
16. What would you describe as some of your strengths?
17. What are some of your weaknesses?
18. How have you learned to emphasize your strengths in your work?
19. In what ways can you learn more about your strengths and weaknesses?
20. Do you have any self-awareness habits you use?
21. What biases impact your business decision making?
22. How often do you ask others for feedback on yourself?
23. Have you ever let your emotions get the better of you that they clouded your judgement?
24. Is there a way you can incorporate regular self-reflection into your schedule?
25. What beliefs or goals help solidify ideas for you?
26. What are the things you’re most grateful for in life?
27. What changes do you hope to make in your business as a result of my consultancy?
28. When do you feel like you have the most purpose in your life?
29. What do you do for fun outside of work?
30. What inspired you to pursue this line of work?
Next: How Resilience will Determine Your Success
31. Where do you see yourself in ten years’ time?
32. What’s the motivation behind wanting to realize your goals?
33. How often do you check that you’re on track to meet your goals?
34. In what areas of your life have you grown the most?
35. What’s the number one thing you’ll take away from my consultancy?
36. What individuals have played an important part in your personal growth?
37. What five values are most important to you?
38. What inspires you?
39. Which book or article inspired you, or made you reevaluate your business?
40. What interested you about having a consultant?
41. If you could go back in time, would you choose a different career?
42. How do mitigate your weaknesses?
43. What obstacles do you see that might prevent you from achieving your goals?
44. During which period of your career did you feel like you had the most growth?
45. Who do you talk with about the struggles and successes of your job?
You might also like: 30 Days of Positive Actions for Entrepreneurs
46. Have you ever thought about quitting your current role? If yes, why?
47. If you could learn any professional skill to help your business what would it be and why?
48. Are you looking to expand your staff?
49. Are there any topics of urgent interest for your business?
50. Which decisions are easiest for you to make, and which ones do you struggle with the most? Why?
51. What aspects of this consultant-client relationship do you like the most?
52. What aspects of our client – consultant relationship do you think could be improved?
53. What can I do differently to help you get the most out of this relationship?
54. Are we reaching the goals we set out to achieve when we first met?
55. Have you ever had to manage a situation at work that involved conflict? How did you handle it?
More Questions to Ask a New Client
56. What made you get into the business you’re currently in?
Next: How to Become a Highly Successful Content Creator
57. What are the main values you live by?
58. What inspired you to become a xyz?
59. Who was the most important mentor in your life?
60. What are the biggest challenges you’ve faced in your business so far?
61. How can I make this experience beneficial for the two of us?
62. Do you have any boundaries and expectations regarding communication?
63. What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned in your business so far?
64. If you could go back in time and change one decision in your professional career, what would it be and why?
65. How have your values changed over the years?
66. Have you adapted your mindset at all during the startup of your business?
67. How long do you envision this consultancy will last?
68. What was your biggest inspiration for getting into this line of work?
69. What are the three most important skills you need to be successful in this line of work?
70. What do you wish you knew when you started that you know now?
You might also like: Top Motivational Quotes to Inspire Success
71. What aspirations do you have for your business?
72. How have your goals changed over time?
73. How do you balance your personal and work life?
74. What steps do you plan on taking to help you grow in the future?
75. What opportunities are there to grow in this line of work?
76. What’s your biggest tip for communicating effectively?
77. Did you have a consultant when you started out? If yes, did it make a big impact?
78. What are the main obstacles that impede effective communication?
79. What language have you found to be the most effective when it comes to handling conflict?
80. Is there any further education or training that would help me in this line of work?
81. What’s the most unconventional tip you have heard of to be more successful?
82. What do you do to relax when you’re not at work?
83. Do you have any intellectual pursuits outside of your work?
84. What’s your most successful form of networking you’ve done?
85. Are there any special mentors, gurus or others that you follow?
Next: 18 Influencer Marketing Trends for 2022
86. What do you think are your biggest strengths and weaknesses?
87. What’s the biggest thing that’s surprised you about business?
88. What makes you different from the other people you’ve worked with?
89. Do you have certain attitudes or behaviors that might hold you back in your work life?
90. In what ways do you think you’ve grown the most during this process?
91. What do you think you still need to work on?
92. Is there anything you’ve learned from this consultant – client experience?
93. What are the three things you’re most grateful for in life?
94. What do you appreciate in life now that you didn’t in the past?
95. How has your attitude towards gratitude changed over time?
96. How do you track your competition?
97. Have you ever had imposter syndrome? If so, how do you deal with it?
98. Have you ever experienced setbacks during your career? How did you respond?
99. Have you had to make any difficult choices to get where you are today?
100. What would you like to see me do every week to show that I’m providing you with results?
You might also like: 103 Fun Couples Challenge Questions for Social Media
101. Are there any topics you’d like us to go over that you feel will benefit us?
102. What steps should I take if I wish to change my career?
103. What qualities are most important in a leader?
104. Do you think there are certain characteristics that are missing in today’s leaders?
105. What’s the worst leadership decision you’ve ever made?
106. What advice would you give to entrepreneurs who are starting out?
107. What are the biggest mistakes first-time entrepreneurs can make?
108. Is there any piece of conventional advice you disagree with? Why?
109. What’s the worst conflict you’ve had to resolve?
110. What good habits do you employ that help you get the most from your business?
111. Can you describe the best day you’ve had in business and why?
Looking For More Ways to Grow Your Business & Improve Your Relationships?