This article contains affiliate links so this site may exist. Please read my disclosure to learn more.
Scour the internet and you will find many different articles and ways to make extra money online and off but you have to be careful for there are many scams out there. However, there are indeed many decent, legitimate, creative and proven ways to earn a living online either full time or in your spare time from the comfort of your home.
Below are some ways to make money from home that are proven. Make note I didn’t say ‘Easy’ because nothing worthwhile is ever easy, but they are Proven to earn you a decent living. It’s all about what you are willing to put into it:)
Just keep in mind that when you work for yourself you have to be even more passionate about what you do because no one is looking over your shoulder and making you do it. And it can’t be just for the moola, although that is inspiring but if it’s all dull, mindless work then what’s the point?
Also, people who work for themselves tend to be ‘workaholics’ & get burnt out easily – it’s not always so easy to punch the ‘out’ clock;)
Let us count the ways….
Sell your stuff – What’s one person’s trash…There are so many apps and programs out there now that you can use to make money by selling items. Heck my friend recently sold his car off one. Everyone has extra items laying around used or new that can be sold on the following sites:
- Shopstyle Collective
- FaceBook MarketPlace
Or, if you have a talent for creating things like jewelry, crafts, purses, even Wigs you can make your own and sell them on Etsy.com.
And honestly, it’s so much easier selling online than having a tag sale! You can do it at any time of the day or night, any season, whenever you like.
- Also known as ‘Retail Arbitrage‘ – If you don’t have any items to sell in your house you can even search for items on sale or discount from Walmart or Target that can be bought and sold for a profit. Amazon even has a bar code scanner app that you put on your phone.
- You simply scan the barcode of a tag in a store and see what it goes for on Amazon. Many times it’s significantly marked down in Walmart and sold on Amazon for 2-4 times the price! I’ve used Alibaba and Ebay to purchase and sell products online as well with success.
- The shipping from China can take a long time and cost a bit, but now they have Aliexpress which expedites the products for a reasonable cost especially if you buy in bulk.
If you want to take if further and become a professional online dealer set up a simple site on Shopify, WordPress or SquareSpace, promote on Social Media and you have yourself a profitable E commerce business.
With drop shipping options (where the goods are shipped from the manufacturer directly to the customer) this makes it super easy and you don’t have to store any product whatsoever.
Answer surveys – Some of the highest paying Survey companies are:
- VIP Voice
- SpringBoard panel
- Valued Opinions
- Survey Bods
- Global Test Market
- Opinion Outpost
- The Opinion Panel Community
- Branded Surveys
- New Vista Live
- Pinecone Research
- Harris Poll
- I’d start by going to: Swagbucks.com. They’re free to join and not difficult to see if it’s something you’d be interested in doing. Yes, it can get boring doing all that clicking and it does take some time – but hey, you’re getting paid to answer surveys for research and the greater consumer good:)
- I would recommend setting up a different email account though to separate it from your main email as it can get quite crammed! This way you can sign up for as many as you like. You can earn free products too, free samples, miles and gift cards. I am not a huge fan of survey sites but some people swear by them as a great way to earn extra cash.
- Investing – The best long term approach to have money when you’re ready to retire is investing. Whether it’s a 401K, mutual funds or index funds. Anyone can invest affordably these days with all the competitive rates out there for little to no fees. Robinhood.com is one that lets you purchase stocks for No Fees. Sign up is quick and easy and works great on your mobile app or desk top. Vanguard has some of the lowest fees out there.
- Vanguard and T Rowe Price also have ‘targeted’ retirement accounts set for your particular retirement date. I like these because they shift its asset allocation over time, automating the retirement investing process. They’re also designed to avoid losses. But please remember that there are NO guarantees when it comes to investing.
- Sign up and work for Airtasker! This company serving Australia and the United Kingdom is a freelancer’s dream platform. Put all your handy skills to work doing anything from administrative work to catering, handyman tasks, gardening, photography, website design and much more and get paid up to *$5,000 per month – Based on the median top 50 tasker’s monthly earnings.
- Become an Uber or Lyft driver – If you have spare time you can get paid to drive others around and make some great extra cash! You can choose which areas and routes to drive. In fact I’m going to start using Uber to drive my teenager around until she gets her license!
- Use Ebates and Swagbucks for your online searches and shopping. With Swagbucks you can earn Amazon gift cards, cash and more. If you’re doing online shopping through Macy’s, Amazon, Kohl’s, Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc. you may as well get paid for it! Go through their site each time you shop online and they will reimburse you a percentage.
- They have many other retailers too. Swagbucks is like Google, when you do a search you get rewarded with Swagbucks and then when you have enough you can redeem them for cash, gift cards, and more.
- Start a Blog – I love writing but not everyone does. However, anyone can start a blog even if writing is not your thing. I don’t reeeally recommend it if you absolutely Hate writing but it is possible. The owner of the PennyHoarder hates to write. Seriously. Like anything else it just takes practice if you’re driven enough. All you really need is a goal, a purpose, a message to share that adds value to people’s lives. It’s quick to start but Consistency is key. Start up web hosting is $2.59+ per month with companies like BlueHost, SiteGround, Weebly, Wix, Squarespace, WordPress
- Choose a particular niche or a set of niches and write about what you are passionate about, and how you can help others with that passion. After all, everyone has something helpful to offer! A blog is a great platform to express yourself and you can make a good income doing so if you stick with it.
- Promote your blog on social media and get followers who share the same interests! There are bloggers out there making 6-7 figure income a month have quit their full time jobs, and those who make very little. It all depends. But truth be told you must be in it for the long haul.
- Growing a following can take some time but with the right effort and the right formula the work can be rewarding and the income can be quite lucrative!
- Read my post The 1 Million Dollar Blogging Recipe, a step by step guide to get you started the right way.
- Become a Virtual Assistant – Gone are the days when you had to be a web designer, graphic designer or copy writer to earn a decent living being a virtual assistant. I’ve made a great living working freelance on several sites such as Upwork and Fiverr, Appen and others. There are middle of the road skills you can have such as data entry, scheduling, inbox management, customer service emails, proofreading and chat. These aren’t so specialized that you’d need to go back to school to learn them or spend a ton of time studying. The more positions I’ve had the higher I was able to increase my rate from $20 to $50 per hour.
- Be a Dog/Pet Sitter – So many dog and cat, lizard, rabbit and bird owners out there are working full time and need to have reliable people watching their beloved animal babies. Companies like Rover.com is the nations largest network of 5-star pet sitters and dog walkers. Plenty of other independent companies are out there who are always looking to hire. You can advertise your services yourself for Free on Craigs List, post your flier at the local stores, shops, spread the word through neighbors and friends. This woman saved $40,000 in one year dog sitting!
- ***My TOP Recommendation*** – Become an Affiliate Marketer – Write sponsored product reviews online for companies online or your website or YouTube and you could potentially make a tremendous passive income in the hundreds, thousands or hundreds of thousands!
“If you’re not earning money through affiliate marketing, then you are leaving money on the table”. – Michelle Schroeder Gardner
Sign up for my weekly posts on how to make your digital business an online success from the start with exclusive tips, tactics and ways to promote your blog and live the life of your dreams online!