Many of us want to be able to share our skills with the world and give something back in the form of a product or course to help others. Being able to create digital products and courses that share your expertise with the world is a huge deal but many have been put off due to the technical aspects of it. But creating digital downloads is a great way to earn money as a side hustle or even as a full time career. So much in fact that it is a 3 billion dollar industry! Certain platforms have made this process so simple they’ve taken out all the tech and coding so now literally anyone can do it!
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase I will be compensated a small commission at no additional cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
Why Create An Online Course?
The main reason you could choose to create an online course is that it allows you to share a passion with masses of people remotely. You can do this on a global scale!
The best thing is you can create your course or lessons in your own time and place as a side hustle or as a start up full time career. Online courses are a wonderful way to share your talents with the world and help other people get better at what they do too.
You know that tutorials and guides are huge on YouTube. But online courses make it simple to upload information like videos, pdfs, templates, files, and any other resource you can imagine.
It is also is one of the best sources of passive income because a student can choose to take the course at any time and work through the course for as long as they like, thereby generating money for you over the course of a lifetime.
But to a lot of people including myself creating such a thing as an online course without any technical know-how seems rather daunting.
Believe it or not you don’t need to be a tech wizard to create a course online. I am far from one which is why I chose the online platform Podia.
Below is my personal review of Podia. I am not getting compensated to write it. I simply love the platform and it is what I use to host all my products and courses. (they are currently migrating my Social Media course from Teachable for me as I write this).
Although I thought Teachable was a pretty good platform, I do think that Podia has got them beat. Read below why.
Podia is an online learning platform that provides helpful tutorials and resources to course creators, allowing them to create professional online products, downloads, memberships and subscriptions without all of the technical jargon and complexities.
Whether you want to sell a high value $1000 course or a $50 short guide, Podia has all of the things you need to get you started.
So, how good is this app?
As a host for online courses Podia endeavours to reach as many prospective students as they can and provides you with the tools you need to create your own customized landing pages to host your course in your own branding style or color scheme.
You can migrate any form of online learning or product you have such as courses, ebooks and even digital downloads so that they all appear in one easy to find place. Virtually creating an entire library or bundle.
There are two different packages you can choose when you open an account with Podia: ‘Mover’ and ‘Shaker’.
In order to decide which one is best for you let us break down some of the features and see what Podia can provide you with.
- Online Courses – the main thing that Podia gives you is a space to build your online course as well as host it. The great thing about this is that you can download a lot of different types of files such as word docs, PDFs, images, and videos to supplement learning. You’re able to create and customize from a range of themes to create a landing page that works for you and looks amazing with your website. You can even input a pre-launch countdown to generate some interest going in the lead up to your course.
- Membership – as mentioned there are two different levels of membership; Mover which is $39 per month and Shaker @ $79 per month is the more expensive one. But to me is totally worth it. This is the one I have. It even eliminates the need for an Email service provider (ESP) if you wanted. This has all of the features included and will allow you to build a site for your course that is seamless and has bonus resources for students who pay more.
- Emails – One of the most important parts of creating an online course is retention. You want to be sure that when a student starts a course they are willing to stay to a schedule and complete the course to learn a new skill. Podia allows you to set up an email marketing flow to remind students of lessons and provide helpful tips and tricks. It is highly intuitive and a very a useful tool and one you should definitely use if you have an online course. With this feature you can send out newsletters and drip campaigns to keep your audience engaged. You can also track metrics like who clicked, opened and unsubscribe rates.
- Embeds – A buy button is something you may not think you need right away, but it’s great to have to entice people in. Having the ability to embed a buy button into your landing page is a good incentive for people to purchase your course, because it makes the process much easier.
- Bundle it up – Whenever you are creating a range of products whether they be physical or digital it is a good idea to have the option to bundle. Podia allows you to create a bundle of your products so that people can get the most for their money and you can also make more.
- Affiliates – Another great feature on the Shaker plan is that they allow you to offer your audience a chance to be an affiliate for your products giving them a commission to sell your courses or products for you and having an army of people helping to promote your stuff! You can turn this on or off and choose the percentage you want.
One of the more confusing things about selling your own products is setting up payments.
Payments for a freelancer are usually carried out through invoices or through PayPal or Stripe.
The good thing with Podia is that they make the process so easy. They allow you to connect your PayPal or Stripe accounts for simple payment processing.
What are the benefits?
We’ve gone through some of the key features of Podia and how it can simplify your online course process, but what are the actual benefits that differentiate it from one specific digital course selling service over another?
Let’s face it; if you are looking for a method to sell an online course to make some extra cash, you don’t want to spend a ton of money setting it up do you?
Podia is an affordable option compared to other competitors and one thing I really liked was that the price will not rise even when you start making more sales.
Other platforms charge you more when you want to add certain features or if you go over a certain number of students (subscribers).
This means you can feel secure paying one flat rate steadily as you go and create as many courses and products as you wish!
The people at Podia are friendly, punctual, and very helpful. They either answer via their live chat or if they’re offline they have always gotten back to me right away with any questions or concerns.
Some other online course platforms I have had to wait a while for answers or have received generic ‘tutorials’ or community answers which frankly drives me nuts.
If you are looking for a team of people who will guide you through every step of the way with a very friendly attitude then this is the place to go.
At Podia, they offer a lot of customized customer service and they clearly give the impression that they want to ensure you get answers to any level of question you have.
The great thing about this service compared to other similar ones is that Podia understands the path of the entrepreneur because many of them are creators themselves.
It means that when you go through the building process the user experience is highly intuitive. It doesn’t take days or weeks of studying tutorials and watching videos to easily understand how to implement it.
There’s no confusing processes, just a great service that will allow you to create beautiful digital products and courses as simply as possible.
Common Issues With Other Course Platforms
With some other digital apps and storefronts things can get tricky and super confusing at times. If you have a site set up with WordPress you know you can create a digital store with WooCommerce or other plugin. The program is that you have to have a certain level of technical know how to be hands on running your site.
This is where Podia excels and has the advantage over it’s competitors. It’s drag and drop system makes everything so simple it’s seems almost too easy! But everything works seamlessly!
Check them out and if you want to sign up they give you a FREE 14 day free trial with no credit card required to play around with all their benefits.
You don’t even have to use dropbox or any third party storage apps. Yay!! This makes it so much easier to be organized and maintain everything in one place.
Podia for me is the perfect tool for beginners and intermediate users that aren’t tech or programming friendly. And they have a beautiful them to start everything off.
The downside – not much. There could use a little more customization options but I say – less is more. And with Podia you can upload all your products without being overwhelmed or have to worry about any technical issues which is huge!
This is a perfect user friendly, all in one digital storefront you can use for all your needs.