Words matter. We’ve all heard the ‘sticks and stones…’ saying but we know in truth words have power. Words can help us, hurt us and words can heal. Writing quotes on Instagram is one way this writer earns a living online.
I had a call the other day from a tee shirt company in California looking for someone to write Inspirational quotes on Instagram. You wouldn’t think that an actual job existed for that but it does. Those words we read every day on Instagram and social media don’t just come out of nowhere. Someone actually gets paid to write them.
That could be you.
Did you know that some companies and brands pay rates of $900 per hour for short sayings and original quotes like ones you read every day? Crazy right?
Think I’m kidding? Laura Belgray of talkingshrimp.com charges upwards of $900 per hour.
Now I’m not saying you’re going to be able to come up with some quotes tomorrow, throw them out there and charge her rates. Laura has built up a business over two decades that has earned her a stellar reputation allowing her to command those rates.
My point is, it’s entirely possible.
More and more businesses and companies are using Instagram and other social media to reinforce their brands. They need words — and not everyone likes writing. Most people need help, and many will pay for it.
That’s where the power of copywriting comes in.
Here are some guaranteed tips and techniques you need for getting started writing copy and content to help you stand out on the web.
Don’t wait for permission
One of the great things about freelance writing is that if you love to write, you can start doing so professionally — without permission, an agent, a book deal, a publisher, or working your way up a corporate ladder.
Back in the day it would take years of effort and success to accumulate a portfolio of good copy or print ads, but as a freelance online writer you can create your own work at your own speed.
Highlight your talent
There are plenty of free, no-permission-required ways to show off your writing skills.
- Write and publish stories and articles on Mix.com and Medium
- Submit your articles to these sites that pay for posts: 115 Sites That Pay You Well To Write and Blog
- Build your own website, and fill it with examples
- Sharpen up your Copywriting skills with this post on magnetic headlines that sell anything
- Post your own original, quotable sayings on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Even if that’s not the writing service you want to offer, your own quotes and tips are a great way to stand out to your target audience.
Create your own quote graphics
You don’t have to be a designer to create amazing graphics these days. Anyone can do it. Here’s how:
- Use a graphic editing app like Canva, which offers a variety of Instagram and social media quote templates.
- Post the quote on Twitter, then take a screenshot and use that as your Instagram image. It won’t have a signature look, but this style of quote is easy to create and read.
Advertise Your Services
If you want to be hired as a writer, make it clear that you are one for the job and it’s easy to book you.
- On your website, have a “Services” or “Hire Me” page that allows people to contact you for more information.
- Offer your services (even if no one has ever paid you for them yet) on a freelancer site like FreeUp or Fiverr. Some people make a full time living using these sites.
- If you want to write Instagram quotes, use your captions to let people know. For instance, when you post an original quote, the caption can include a sentence like, “Like this? I can help you write your own original quotes. DM me for details.”
Set Your Rates
As a newbie obviously you’re not going to charge what Laura does. At least not right away;) I recommend checking out various freelance rate sites like this one.
Remember, the more demand you build for yourself, the more you can charge. And always keep building your skills.