Last Updated 7 months by Emily Standley-Allard
Ever wonder how the TikTok algorithm really works? If you’ve wondered how you get certain posts in your ‘for you’ page or if you feel TikTok is truly reading your mind, we’re going to uncover some of the ways the TikTok algorithm really works in order to be so accurate.
Let’s be real. It’s undeniable that TikTok has taken top shelf in the public’s eye and attention. The explosion of popularity makes it crucial for brands to learn how the TikTok algorithm works in 2022 and brands and businesses need to pay close attention to.
Yet for reasons well known brands were originally hesitant to add on yet another social strategy to their marketing program.
Putting together a whole strategy for multiple social platforms, monitoring the results, and optimizing performance after all is a lot of work.
But with TikTok now at over 1 billion monthly active users it’s become impossible to ignore. Let’s get started learning about how the TikTok algorithm works!
TikTok was formerly being considered a “Gen Z” app. It was also intimidating because nobody in the office wanted to be behind seen on video — however there is no denying the potential of TikTok for brands and businesses when you look at the numbers.
Let’s dive into the top TikTok statistics brands need to know:
- TikTok monthly active users: There are 1 billion monthly active users on TikTok.
- Number of App Installs: TikTok has been downloaded 3 billion times and had the most non-game app installs for 6 months in 2021, achieving 383 million downloads from January to June 2021.
- Surpassing competition: In 2021, TikTok was the 7th ranked social media app. Surpassing Pinterest, Twitter, Snapchat, Reddit for monthly active users is impressive considering it was only launched in 2016.
- Engagement Rate: With a session duration of 10.85 minutes, TikTok has been recognized as the top social media platform for engagement. This is twice Pinterest at rank #2 with 5.06 minutes.
- Growth rate: In the U.S., TikTok had a 787.86% user growth rate and a 1157.76% increase in its user base worldwide.
- Influencer earnings: TikTok influencers and creators can earn up to $5 million a year if they have up to 100 million followers. The most popular categories for influencer content are beauty, fitness, dance, pranks, pets, food and entertainment.
This rapidly growing social media app’s innovative and unique algorithm allows users to reach more people based on how they interact with your content.
TikTok’s key differentiator is the sense of community on the app.
@cybermom24 Mini panthers 💕#minipanthersoftiktok #catlovers #blackcatsoftiktok #blackcatsaregoodluck #blackcatsrule ♬ original sound – KILLA KENZ 👑
TikTok’s niche communities provide a place for everyone to connect, and new communities are continually emerging as more people join the app.
If you’re new to TikTok, check out #BusinessTok or #BrandTok.
These niche communities provide content for marketers, entrepreneurs, and business owners on tips, real-life experiences, and live streams of their networking events.
Gina Nacnac, manager of brand partnerships at HireInfluence, shared with us the importance of TikTok marketing for brands in 2022:
“In 2022, we’re going to see a rise in Content Creators on TikTok that create content specifically for the brand’s owned channel appearing as the face of the brand for a contracted period of time, like quarterly or every six months. This is going to provide more opportunities for smaller creators to monetize and will provide ways for brands to connect with consumers authentically through relatable creator content.”
5 Aspects of Influencer Marketing Services for TikTok Paid Ads
TikTok Marketing: Quick Guide for Marketers (2022)
TikTok For Fame – 10 Tips to Go Viral
How to Use TikTok Influencer Marketing to Drive More Sales
18 Influencer Marketing Trends in 2022
TikTok’s Unique Path to Purchase
TikTok transforms how brands connect with their audiences, drive purchases and find success.
The platform recently conducted a global research study to understand TikTok’s role in and perceptions across the retail consumer journey.
Here is what they found:
- People on TikTok are 1.5x more likely to instantly purchase something they discovered on the platform than other platforms’ users.
- TikTok is 1.7x more likely to be the source for product discovery compared to other social platforms.
- TikTokers are 1.4x more likely than the other platform users to research products/brands they find on the platform.
- TikTok users are 1.5x more likely than other platform users to persuade friends or family to purchase a product or service they’ve come across on the app.
- TikTok users are 2.4x more likely than other platform users to create a post and tag a brand after buying a product.
- TikTok users are more than twice as likely to comment or D.M. a brand after purchasing a product compared to other platform users.
Brands that see massive success on TikTok aren’t just pushing products and creating content when it’s time to sell.
Instead, they develop a consistent presence by using a TikTok scheduling tool and focusing on their brand’s role as a creator of entertainment. Successful brands leverage their TikTok Business Account to create a home on the platform, establish their unique brand voice, and build a community.
TikTok is revolutionizing the social media marketing landscape through its infinite loop buyer’s journey. Compared to other platforms, TikTok is leading the way at each stage of the customer journey — awareness, consideration, and decision.
How The TikTok Algorithm Works in 2022
One of the key ranking signals on the TikTok algorithm is video completion. Each time a user watches a video in full, that video will be more likely to be suggested to other users’ feeds.
Another major influence on the TikTok algorithm is hashtags and user-viewing habits. TikTok will take note of the type of videos you’re watching and which niche communities they are coming from. It will then suggest similar videos to you based on your content consumption.
For example, if you can’t get enough of DanceTok, good news — the algorithm will keep suggesting related videos. Brands looking to increase the reach of their videos should use trending songs, hashtags, and dances.
This is how TikTok has defined their For You page algorithm:
“This feed is powered by a recommendation system that delivers content to each user that is likely to be of interest to that particular user. Part of the magic of TikTok is that there’s no one For You feed – while different people may come upon some of the same standout videos, each person’s feed is unique and tailored to that specific individual.”
Key Components of the TikTok Algorithm:
- Video Information: video information signals are based on the content you seek out on the Discover tab (i.e., capt
@cybermom24 Check yourself before you wreck yourself! #selfcare #lifetips #relationshipadvice #advicetiktok #fyp #foryoupage @cybermom24 ♬ Gimme More – Britney Spears
ions, sounds, hashtags).
- User Interactions: as mentioned above, the TikTok algorithm is influenced by a user’s content consumption and interactions on the app.
- Device and Account Settings: although these do not have as strong of an influence on the TikTok algorithm, it’s still worth mentioning. These are settings (i.e., language, country, device type) a user chooses on their account that TikTok considers when optimizing content.
What Engagements Are Not Important to the TikTok Algorithm
As we covered, the TikTok algorithm considers a few key ranking signals when suggesting videos to your feed. But what are the least important metrics of engagement?
- Content already viewed
- Duplicated content
- Potentially upsetting content (TikTok provides examples of “legal consumption of regulated goods” or “graphic medical procedures”)
- Content that gets flagged as spam
And the best news yet? For new users or TikTokers with a low following, the TikTok algorithm doesn’t use follower count as a ranking signal. Meaning small accounts still have the potential for high reach.
Want to see what other businesses are doing on TikTok?
Check out this example of marketing hacks to inspire your brand.
@plai.io Marketing hacks 😳 my original vid of this has 5 million views #marketing #business #entrepreneur #success #money ♬ original sound – Plai
Incorporating the latest platform trends into a brand’s marketing strategy can help them to more effectively engage, educate, and sustain their audience seamlessly into the TikTok community. Don’t know where to start? We’ve got you covered!
Check out the Trend Discovery Tool to uncover what’s trending in your vertical, what’s on consumers’ minds, and what’s viral on TikTok in real-time.
In 2022, businesses need to stay on top of new marketing techniques, trends, and rising platforms to drive key growth and better connect with their audience.
One of them is TikTok, and there’s no sign of it slowing down. There is a huge opportunity for businesses to take advantage of the viral nature of the app and allow it to take your digital campaigns to the next level.
Sign up for our newsletter to grow your epic online business faster and work remotely from anywhere on earth! And don’t forget to visit me on TikTok! 🙂
@cybermom24 Top careers! #careers #remotework #onlinebusiness #workfromhome #makemoneyonline #skillz #makemoneyfromhome #buildyourempire #buildwealthonline #buildwealth #buildyourbusiness #contentcreator #working #skills #fyp #fypage #fypシ #web3 @cybermom24 ♬ Vogue (Originally Performed by Madonna) [Instrumental Version] – Backing Track Central