Last Updated 2 months by Emily Standley-Allard
As a writer or blogger, it’s really helpful to know exactly which platforms writers can make good money. Getting paid a decent amount for your written content helps you not only to earn a consistent living online, but also helps to cement your reputation in your niche and community.
The top 6 online publishing platforms writers make the most money from are:
- Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP): KDP is the world’s largest self-publishing platform, and it offers authors the opportunity to publish their books on Amazon Kindle and other popular e-reader devices. KDP authors can earn royalties of up to 70% on their book sales. You can read some of my publications on Amazon here.
- Microsoft Start Publishing: A platform where creators and authors can publish their written work, get paid, view analytics and see which content performs the best. Read more about how I make money with the Microsoft Publishing platform below.
- Draft2Digital: Draft2Digital is another popular self-publishing platform that distributes ebooks to all major retailers, including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Apple Books. Draft2Digital authors can earn royalties of up to 60% on their book sales.
- Smashwords: Smashwords is a self-publishing platform and ebook aggregator that distributes ebooks to over 350 retailers worldwide. Smashwords authors can earn royalties of up to 85% on their book sales.
- Medium: Medium is a content publishing platform where authors can publish articles, essays, and other types of written content. Medium authors can earn money through a variety of ways, including the Medium Partner Program, paid subscriptions, and sponsorships.
- Substack: Substack is a content publishing platform where authors can create and distribute email newsletters to their subscribers. Substack authors can earn money through their fans with paid subscriptions.
How Writers Make Money with the Microsoft Publishing Hub
I publish content from my blog and about my own particular personal interests on this platform.
This is a post I wrote recently about 6 Reasons It’s Impossible to Have an Intimate Relationship with a Narcissist
The Microsoft Start Publishing Platform Hub is a one-stop shop for publishers to manage their content and reach a wider audience. It allows publishers, authors and writers to:
- Submit content to Microsoft Start, a personalized news feed that is available on Windows 10 and 11, Microsoft Edge, and the Android and iOS Microsoft News apps.
- Track your content performance and see how many people are reading and sharing your articles.
- Manage your community and engage with their readers.
- Monetize your content through advertising and subscriptions.
- 19 Gift Ideas Exclusively for Content Creators and Entrepreneurs
- Important Considerations for Businesses with Remote Workers
- How to Get Paid for Things You Do Online Daily
- 19 Great Holiday Gift Ideas for the Gen Xer in Your Life
- 14 Ways to Make Your Small Business Eco-Friendly
How to Join the Microsoft Start Publishing Hub
To join the Microsoft Start Publishing Platform Hub, writers must have a website or blog that publishes high-quality content on a regular basis.
Writers can apply to join the program through the Microsoft Start Partner Hub.
Once approved, publishers can submit their content to Microsoft Start by adding a plugin to their website or blog or submit the contents directly to the platform.
Microsoft Start will then review the content (they do this very quickly, so it only takes minutes) and add it to the feed if it meets their quality standards.
Writers can then track their content performance and see how many people are reading and liking/disliking and sharing their articles through the Microsoft Start Publisher Hub dashboard.
Here’s an example from my own dashboard:
The dashboard also provides publishers with insights into their audience and how they are engaging with their content.
Writers can make money and manage their community and engage with their readers through the Microsoft Start Publisher Hub’s community management tools. These tools allow publishers to see who is reading their content, what they are saying about it, and how they can interact with them.
You can view how many readers you’ve gotten, the likes, dislikes and comments. And also which content is most popular by title.
You can also monetize your content through the built-in advertising and subscriptions through the Microsoft Start Publisher Hub’s monetization tools.
Supported monetization options can be viewed by navigating to Monetization Options > Overview in the MSPH dashboard. You can manage each option by selecting Off/On.
- Publisher Support: Allow readers to give cash gratuities or Microsoft Rewards points to support your work.
- Ad Revenue: Receive a portion of the revenue from ads that appear near your content (This option is always active by default).
These tools allow Microsoft Start to display ads on their content and to offer paid subscriptions to their readers.
Overall, the Microsoft Start Publishing Platform Hub is another valuable tool for writers who want to reach a wider audience, track their content performance, and monetize their written work.
100 Websites That Pay Writers Big Money
Here are some tips for making the most money from the Microsoft Publishing Platform:
- Choose a niche and specialize in it. This will help you to attract a targeted audience and build a reputation as an expert in your field.
- Produce high-quality content that is informative, compelling and engaging to your readers. This will encourage people to read your content and share it with others.
- Promote your content on social media and other networks and platforms. This will help you grow your following.
- Experiment with different monetization strategies to see what works best for you. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to making money from online publishing.
Based on my knowledge and personal experience with the platform and the online publishing industry in general, you can make anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousands of dollars per month, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of content you publish
- The quality of your content
- The size of your audience
- Your marketing and promotion efforts
- The monetization strategies you use
For example, if you publish high-quality ebooks on popular topics, and you have a large audience of engaged readers, you could potentially earn a significant amount of money just from ebook sales.
Similarly, if you publish a successful blog or website that is monetized through advertising, affiliate marketing, or selling digital products, you could also earn a very good amount of passive income each month.
It’s important to note that it takes time and effort to build a successful publishing business. So don’t expect to get rich quick. But if you’re willing to put in the work, the MPP can be a great way to make money from publishing your content.
- How this Writer Makes Over $1,000 PH Writing Quotes for Instagram
- How to Earn Up to $700 Per Hour as a LinkedIn Ghostwriter
- How 37 Bloggers Earn $2K – $1Million Per Month
I get a lot of messages asking how writers make a lot of money by writing overnight. Just like anything that is worthwhile, it takes time and effort to build a successful online writing business. Don’t expect to get rich quick, but if you’re willing to be persistent and put in the work, you can make an excellent living from home or anywhere via online publishing.
Follow for more tips to grow your revenue online and build an epic online business!
- Affiliate Marketing
- Branding Tips
- Content Creators
- Content Marketing
- Copywriting and Content Writing
- Digital Products
- Email Marketing Tips
- Entrepreneur Tips
- Gift Guides
- Home Business
- Making Money Online
- Online Business
- Profitable Niches
- Read the Blog
- Remote Work
- Side Hustles From Home
- Social Media
- Social Media Influencers
- Socialbuzzhive Latest Blog Posts
- Website Tips